I’ve wanted to make Rainbow Cake for long time, but kept delaying it because I thought the process of making very difficult.
After practice it, it was not complicated as I thought before. I even can say how to make it pretty easy. Only need the time to get a variety of colors layer cake.
I didn’t use 30 cm a round baking pan as suggested, but using rectangle baking pan, 39 x 27 x 4 cm. In Germany we usually use this pan for baking German Plum Cake. Maybe it has a little different with US size.
And divided into three part by using baking paper as border. Sealed with a little butter/margarine between paper and the bottom of the pan to make the paper stay in place.
I have to bake two batches, three colors in one pan for each batch. Here I only covered the top of cake with cream frosting to let each side visible.
First, I don’t like too much cream frosting. Second, I want the beauty of the color of each layer will show up without having to cut it first. Because that is the main beauty of the rainbow layer cake.
I adapted and slightly modified Homemade butter cake recipe from www.taste.com.au
Homemade butter cake :
- 125 g butter, softened (I used margarine)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1 tbsp vanilla sugar)
- 3/4 cup castor sugar (I used 150 g superfine sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self rising flour, sifted. (I used 190 g plain flour + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 175 ml)
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg one at a time. Beating after each addition. Stir in flour.
- I beat into smooth and used spatula to scrap the bottom of the bowl.
- After this step, I divided into three and put in three separate bowl to put different food coloring.
Rectangle Rainbow Cake
I used 2 (two) quantities of Homemade butter cake from recipe above. One quantity at a time for three colors. Two rectangle baking trays.
- 2 quantities homemade butter cake
- rectangle baking pan ( I used 39 x 27 x 4 cm), divided into 3 with baking paper as border. Line the base and side.
- food coloring, as you wish
Talk about food coloring, since many people using food coloring, means it’s safe. So I decided to try them.
In my case, I have 3 types of food coloring. Powder, gel and liquid. And in my opinion, the powder is the strongest. Wish I have vivid red and green in my cake. But for my first rainbow cake, this is more than good.
Preheat oven at 180 C.
Prepare one quantity homemade butter cake. And divided into three bowl, add food coloring. I choose orange, yellow and pink. Hmm… supposed to be bright red!
Spoon into prepared baking pan and smooth the surface with spatula.
Bake at 180 C for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand in the pan for 5 minutes, turn out from the pan, I peel gently the baking paper and put in wire rack to cool.
While the first batch in the oven, I prepare the second batch and repeat the step with different colors.
Now I make the frosting. I make the frosting use simple way.
- 1 sachet (8 g) cream solid/powder
- 250 ml schlagsahne/whipping cream.
1 sachet for 250 ml whipped cream. Double the quantity if want more.
Beat until stiff and ready to use.
Cut the edge of cakes to the same size and layer each cake with frosting (the thickness as you wish) until finish. I supposed to putting the pink on top but turned out it was already there in the middle.
About my first rainbow cake, the color composition and the color sharpness level is not exactly the same as the order of the rainbow colors in general..but…it’s great !
As I explained before that I only put frosting between cake and on top. Smooth with spatula and sprinkle with colored sprinkles.
- Blueberry Cake (ninikbecker.wordpress.com)
- Hedgehog Cake (ninikbecker.wordpress.com)
- Swiss Roll (ninikbecker.wordpress.com)
- Peach Upside-Down Cake (ninikbecker.wordpress.com)