Roasted butterfly chicken just as simple as other roasted chicken, only need to cut into butterfly shape. The seasoning can be varied.
Marinate for at least one hour before roasting time.
- whole chicken, I used about 1,2 kg
- root vegetables if you like ( I add potatoes and carrots )
- seasoning : 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp coriander seed, 2 tsp chopped of each (galangal, turmeric, ginger), 2 shallots, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp palm sugar,
- 2 bay leaves, 1 stem of lemon grass (crashed), 2 lime leaves
- 2 tbsp of butter/margarine
Preheat oven at 250 C.
Blend all seasoning into paste.
Rub all over chicken both side and marinate at least one hour.
Arrange on rack, lemon grass, bay leave and lime leave then cover with butterfly chicken. skin side up.
I layer baking pan with foil and arrange halved potatoes and carrots, seasoned with salt, pepper and parsley. And put the rack with chicken on it over the vegetables.
Put in the oven and bake at 250 C for about 40 minutes, reduce into 180 C for another 20 minutes.
So potatoes and carrots got the dripping oil from chicken and make them moist and soft.
Discard the oil before serve.