According to some people, cabbage soup can help you lose weight if eaten in regular basis. Good for health but if you eat only cabbage soup every day then you will get not enough nutrition. Because our body need complete nutrition from different kind of foods.
Well, yesterday I tried to make again cabbage soup and I seasoned with Korean sweet red chili flakes. I actually use this type of chili to make Kimchi and Kimchi soup.
But I use it also for many other recipes. Several times made soup of cabbage, this time I added ground beef. Because if there is no element of meat or so, the man of my life is not keen to try it.
Ingredients and seasoning are depends of your taste and favorite. Just reduce or add more as you like.
We enjoyed it with toasted garlic bread.
- 1/2 head of small white cabbage, chopped
- 2 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 200 g ground beef
- 2-3 tbsp of tomato purée
- 2 tsp of red chili flakes ( I used Korean sweet red chili flakes )
- 1 tsp of paprika powder
- 1 tsp or more of brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- about 750 ml stock (vegetables, chicken or beef ) or water + stock powder
- 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil for sauté
Salt and sugar depending of your taste. The chili too.
What I did :
- in a pot, sauté onion until soften and add garlic. Cook and stir until your kitchen smell like casserole. Don’t hang your jacket on the way where the smell will go, otherwise your jacket will smell delicious too !
- add carrot and cabbage and stir to coat with the onion.
- add the stock and bring to boil.
- add tomato purée, chili, sugar, paprika powder, salt and pepper.
- cook for about 15 minutes.
- with your hand, pinch ground beef little at time to make very small ball and throw to the pot. Let the soup boiling while you doing this.
- this technic is to keep the meat in the right texture, since I didn’t add anything to them. It take about 5 minutes.
- Cook again until the meat just cooked. Overcooked will make the meat hard and dry.
- the result, carrot and cabbage in the right texture, soft but firm.
- meat balls cooked and succulent.
- taste it, until you think is the right taste for you and your love one.
- sprinkle with chopped fresh herb if you like.
Enjoy with crusty toasted garlic bread…nyam…nyam…!