This Baked Cheese Rice Balls has a crunchy texture on the outside and still soft on the inside. Cheese that oozing out between rice gives another texture as well.
Eaten as an appetizer or as a snack.
In this recipe I used spring onion and parsley as a mixture. Herbs can be replaced according to the taste or may skip if not like or are allergic to the herbs.
Parsley is nutritious as long as truly wash clean and not consume too much at one time, because some type cause skin allergies to some people if not handled properly especially the type of wild parsley.
I used a wild rice mix with Langkorn that has the chewy texture and they are not sticky. Take longer to cook and need more water, about 750 ml water for 125 g Langkorn rice.
Makes 8 pieces, small size.
- one-half cup cooked wild rice mix
- 1/2 cup mature cheddar cheese, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped spring onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper, use your instinct
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (or regular bread crumbs)
- little oil
- fresh parsley leaves and hot sauce for garnish (optional)
- Or Ketchup/ mayo to serve.
- Mix all ingredients except oil,bread crumbs and garnish. If too dry, add little water.
- Shape into small balls.
- Coat evenly with panko bread crumbs all over balls.
- Put in the fridge for a while.
- Preheat oven at 200 C ( I used electric oven).
- Arrange rice balls on baking tray with parchment paper. Brush the top with oil.
- Bake until the outer golden brown and the cheese oozing out, about 30 minutes or so, depending on your oven.
- If you like the color more brown, set the oven to broil for few minutes before turn off.
- Transfer to serving dish and add garnish if like. Enjoy with ketchup or mayo.