Fish Fillet Bumbu Bali.
This is one of typical cuisine of the area of Bali Indonesia. Consists of mixture of various spices to make a thick red sauce.
This seasoning can be use for cooking chicken, eggs, meat, tofu and tempeh as well. Some people use shrimp paste that mix into the seasoning mixture to create distinctive flavor. I didn’t use it in this recipe though.
Basically the amount of spices depends of how many ingredients you use. The more ingredients the more spices.
- 2 large fish fillet, I use large Pegasus fillet
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 2 stalk lemon grass, crushed the white part
- 2 slices ginger, crushed
- 2 slices galangal, crushed
- 2 tbsp Indonesian Kecap Manis
- 3 tbsp tamarind water /vinegar
- 1 tsp shrimp paste (I didn’t use)
- 1/2 cup water
Spices : Use blender / pestle & mortar to paste
- 10 large red chilli
- 5 purple shallot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Heat oil, pan fry fish fillet until golden on both sides, set aside.
- Use the same pan, add oil and sauté the paste spices until cooked and smell delicious.
- Add kaffir lime leaves+lemon grass+ginger+galangal+tamarind water+kecap manis.
- Stir well pour 1/2 cup of water to boil.
- Place the fried fish into the bubbling sauce, stir gently to coat all over.
- Cook until the sauce thicken. Transfer into serving dish.
Serve with steamed rice and other side dishes.
Selamat makan !