Chicken on Vegetable Rice recipe by Ninik Becker.
This one-pan dish is practical and very easy to make. Suitable for somebody who lazy to clean up after cooking, like me.
Choose a pan with a lid, non-stick is better to prevent burnt at the bottom of the pan. Personally I like crusty rice that slightly brown, to add different textures. Those rice that usually somewhat harder to chew.
- 4 pieces chicken, bone-in, skin-on (I used 2 drumsticks and 2 chicken breast).
- salt, pepper, coriander powder, ginger powder and turmeric powder. Adjust follow your instinct.
- 3 tbsp oil
Make a small slice on each chicken. Rub all seasoning on the chicken. Brown the chicken in the pan with hot oil until half-cooked and all sides turned brown. Set aside.
Basically the ingredients here are from what you have in the fridge. So feel free to change and adjust.
- 2 cups uncooked Basmati rice or other rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- half fresh paprika, strips
- a handful of Brussels sprout, sliced
- 2 tsp salt or less
- a pinch of paprika powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup of kidney beans from a can
- dried or fresh parsley
- Use a pan to cook the chicken earlier, remember that you already cook the chicken before?
- If necessary add more oil into the pan, sauté onion until softened, add minced garlic, season with salt and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add uncooked basmati rice/other rice, stock, paprika powder, turmeric powder. Stir.
- Bring to boil, lower the heat. Arrange half-cooked chicken and kidney beans over the rice.
- Cover the pan and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or more until the liquid absorbed and rice cooked.
- Ten minutes before finish cooking, add brussels sprout and fresh paprika. Continue cooking until finish.
- Sprinkle with dried parsley. I don’t have fresh one at the time.
Serve the pan of rice on the table together with green vegetables or salad.