Mango Cherry Cake recipe by J.B. Big Bear.
This cake is made using yeast dough base.
I got this original recipe from Big Bear which is wrote in German. It was simple cake recipe using fresh yeast, as you know that many German baking recipe using fresh yeast. In Europe fresh yeast usually packed in small cube for 42 g or 1.5 oz, in US usually about 17 g or 0.6 oz. In Australia I heard usually packed in 1 kg and cut into small chunks.
10 g of fresh yeast = one teaspoon of dry yeast.
He didn’t use too much sugar in this recipe, since I don’t like sweet things. So if you interested to try may need to add the sugar measurement according to your taste.
Usually, we enjoyed it with a scoop of ice cream or a big dollop of cream along with a hot coffee or cappuccino. The chopped almonds added the texture and the sweet and sour from mango and cherries completed the flavour.
There is ingredient in this recipe called Speisequark. In Germany or German-speaking country Quark is commonly use in the recipe for variety of dishes, sold in small plastic tubs just like yoghurt tubs. There are several kinds of Quark and Speisequark or Quark dessert is one of them.
The fruits and the nuts could be varied.
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 250 g Speisequark
- 150 g granulated sugar or more, adjust to your taste
- 3 eggs
- 42 g fresh yeast (1 cube )
- 250 ml milk
In a small saucepan pour the milk and use hand ,break fresh yeast in, warm up over low heat to dissolve. Only warm, not too hot please. Too hot liquid may kill the yeast.
In mixing bowl with dough paddle, put the flour, Speisequark, sugar, eggs, and yeast mixture into the bowl and mix in medium speed for about 3 to 5 minutes into a thick and sticky dough. Cover and let rest until double in size, depends of the temperature of your room.
- 100 g cocoa powder
- about 40 ml milk
- 1 fl Rum
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 50 g chopped almonds
Mix cocoa powder, milk, Rum and sugar. Set aside.
- 230 g or more mango sliced
- 250 g a jar of sour cherries
- 50 g chopped almonds
- When the dough has double in size, preheat the oven at 200 C.
- Prepare baking tray and layer with parchment paper. Sprinkle thin layer of flour over the parchment paper and put the dough. Sprinkle the dough with flour to prevent sticky. Big Bear coat the rolling-pin with flour as well.
- Using a rolling-pin, roll out the dough to spread evenly. Spread the filling of cocoa mixture and sprinkle the chopped almonds filling on top. Fold the dough like a book. Make a little neat on the edges.
- Arrange the toppings ingredients on top, as you like.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until tooth pick come out clean and the cake golden. Let slightly cool before slice it.
Now, take a slice of that cake, take a scoop of your favorite ice cream or if you don’t like ice cream maybe with generous cream on the side. Enjoy with warm drinks.
Guten Appetit !