Beef Brisket Red Curry recipe by Ninik Becker.
This dish is very delicious when enjoyed with rice or noodles. In this recipe I intentionally did not use a lot of coconut milk. The sauce was thin and taste delicious.
Red color in the sauce comes from the large red chili that finely ground into paste together with other spices and then sautéed with a little oil in medium heat until cooked and the oil turns into red, then the stock is poured. The result as you can see in the photo, bright red sauce, arouse your appetit.
I use beef brisket with some fat in it to keep the meat tender and juicy during cooking process. This means meat with a little fat which is actually connective tissue was for me and chose only lean meat for darling Big Bear, the lean meat fans.
- 500 g beef brisket, cut into bite size
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 500 ml beef stock/water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- salt and sugar to taste
- coriander leaves for garnish
Spice paste :
I used a mortar and pestle to grind all these spices.
- 6 large red chili
- 5 small shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped lemon grass, white part only
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Boil beef brisket for a few minutes, discard the liquid, rinse the beef. Set aside.
- In a shallow pan, heat oil and sauté the spice paste in medium heat until cook and the oil turns into red.
- Add the beef and the stock/water, stir and bring to boil. Cover and cook in lowest heat until beef tender and liquid reduced. About 1 hour.
- Pour coconut milk, curry powder, salt and sugar according to your taste, and stir to boil again. Keep the heat low so the coconut milk not broken.
- Cook until the seasoning infused into the meat.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Selamat makan !