Beef Vegetable Stew with Mashed potato recipe from my mother.
This is a simple recipe that often cooked by my mother. The name of the dish could be the same but each family has a personal favorite. Ranging from simple seasoning until the complete recipe uses a lot of spices.
The main ingredients here is beef, cook with Indonesian Kecap Manis which is sweet soy sauce that make the dish slightly sweet and brownish sauce. The beef could be replace with chicken, boiled eggs, boiled quail eggs, tofu, tempeh or mixed with potato chunks. Cooking time depends of the main ingredient.
The dish can be served with rice or noodles and in this recipe I used mashed potato stacked with brussels sprout, and carrot. As garnish I used green scallion, fried shallots, chunk of medium boiled egg on top of the beef, and the thin brown sauce to compensate mashed potato as well.
- 500 g beef, cut into big chunks
- 750 ml of beef stock/water
- 3 cups of sliced brussels sprout
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 5 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 slices of ginger
- 2 bay leave
- about 1 tsp salt, adjust
- 3 to 4 tbsp Indonesian Kecap Manis
- 2 tbsp oil
- Garnish : boiled egg, green scallion, fried shallots.
- Mashed potato to serves.
Spices paste :
- 4 roasted Kemiri (candle nuts)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 garlic
- In medium a pot, heat 2 tbsp oil, fry shallot until softened, add spices paste. Stir continuously.
- Add ginger sliced, bay leaves, and the beef. Stir until the beef turns in color.
- Pour the stock/water (the liquid covered the meat level), add Kecap manis. Stir, bring to boil.
- After boil, cover and lower the heat. Simmer until the beef tender and the liquid reduced.
- 10 minutes before finish cooking time, add carrot and brussels sprout. Continue cooking until cooked.
- Season with salt, adjust to your taste. The taste should be slightly sweet and savory.
Serve with mashed potato and vegetables, pour the beef gravy over it, garnish with fried shallots, boiled egg and green scallion if you like.
Guten Appetit !