Lodeh Merah (Indonesian Red Vegetable Curry) recipe by Ninik Becker.
Lodeh is one of popular Indonesian vegetable dish cooked with coconut milk soup. It is Javanese cuisine with recipe handed down from family and commonly serve with rice. Basically the ingredients are simple, and every family has a different favorite to cook with. Do not have to use certain vegetables because of variety of vegetables and other ingredient can be cooked with this recipe. The level of spiciness adjusted to your taste.
There are several ways to cook Sayur Lodeh.
- By frying the spices paste before mixing into the pot containing water/coconut milk, the use of red chili after frying process will produce a red color soup.
- By mixing directly spices paste into the pot without frying, will produce pale color soup. And by adding turmeric into the spice will produce yellowish soup.
- By slicing the chili and other spices (skip the grinding process) will produce pale soup as well.
In this recipe I chose number one method and used only little coconut milk to have a thin soup. In Indonesia is not common to use Bok choy and boiled eggs for Lodeh but for me, try something new always interesting. I added whole garlic as well.
- 500 g fresh bok choy, cut the bottom end, washed.
- 2 medium carrot, peeled, sliced
- about 2 cups of chopped cabbage
- 1/2 block firm tofu, cut into bite size
- boiled eggs, optional
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 300 ml water
- 10 pieces beef balls, optional
- 5 whole garlic, peeled, optional
- 2 slices galangal root
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and sugar to taste
Steamed rice to serve.
Spices paste : grind all spices into paste
- 5 or more of large red chili, adjust
- 5 purple shallots or less if using large shallot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed
- In a medium pot, pour 300 water and bring to boil.
- In a heated pan with 2 tbsp oil, fry spices paste together with galangal, bay leaves, and whole garlic (if using) until smell delicious. Transfer into the pot with boiling water.
- Add carrot, cabbage, beef balls, tofu into the pot. Bring to boil again and cook until carrot softened.
- Pour the coconut milk, bring to boil again and lower the heat, stir regularly to prevent coconut milk split.
- Add bok choy, cook until wilted. Season with salt and sugar, adjust to your taste.
- Add boiled eggs if using.
- Transfer into serving dish.
Serve with steamed rice and enjoy with other side dishes of your choice.
Or just like this.
Selamat makan !