Steamed Plantain Roll recipe by Ninik Becker.
Another way to eat plantain is by rolling it inside the dough and then steam. Enjoy with steamed grated coconut and brown sugar syrup. It could be served warm or at room temperature.
- 50 g brown sugar
- 50 ml water
- a drop of vanilla or a slice of pandan leaf
Cook in medium heat until thick but still runny. Transfer into a small jug, let it cool.
- 110 g rice flour (real rice flour, not sticky rice flour)
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 2 or 3 ripe plantain, peel off the skin
- 50 g tbsp granulated sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400 ml water
- Good quality banana leaves, large enough to wrap the plantain, wipe clean with a towel and put over heat to slightly wilt. If banana leaf is difficult to find, use parchment paper.
- 50 g finely grated fresh coconut + a pinch of salt. Mix and then wrap with banana leaf, seal with toothpick.
In a saucepan, mix well all-purpose flour, salt, water, vanilla and red food colouring. Cook while stirring until boiling point. Turn off the heat.
Add rice flour and stir until slightly dry and form a ball.
Prepare two layer of banana leaves, spread some dough over it then place the plantain over the dough. Take more dough to cover the plantain. Roll like making sushi. Seal both end with toothpick. Repeat the step for the other plantain.
Heat up water in the steamer. Steam wrapped plantain and pouch of grated coconut as well in high heat for about 30 minutes. Remove from the steamer and let slightly cool.
To serve : Open the wrap, slice about 3 cm thickness transfer to dessert plate. Sprinkle with grated coconut and drizzle with brown sugar syrup.