Step by step how to make moist Red Velvet Cupcakes with two-tone frosting. In this recipe I did not use cocoa powder but the result was not different. The use of food coloring can be adjusted, though, using food coloring powder must be careful since it taste salty, so use wisely.
For the cake :
125 g flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
60 g soft butter
150 g sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla (extract/powder)
1 tbsp red food coloring gel
120 ml buttermilk, divided
1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
Preheat oven at 175°C. Prepare paper cup on muffin tin.
1. Sift together into a bowl : flour, baking powder, salt. Set aside.
2. Another large bowl, add soft butter and sugar. Beat until fluffy.
Add egg one at time, beat each addition. Add vanilla.
3. In a small bowl, take 30 ml of measured buttermilk and mix with red food coloring until
combined. Pour and mix into the batter, scrape with spatula and mix well.
4. Add flour alternately with buttermilk. Start and ending with flour.
5. In a small bowl, mix vinegar with baking soda, pour into batter. Mix well.
6. Fill each paper cup with cake batter 3/4 full.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan.Then transfer on to wire rack to cool.
For the Frosting :
200 ml whipping cream
1 tbsp cream stabilizer powder
Beat until stiff peak form, divided in half. Add a few drops of red food coloring into one half part, mix until desired color.
Using piping bag or piping bottle with star nozzle, fill two-tone of frosting into one, positioning side by side.
Pipe into each cupcake. Make sure the cupcakes completely cool before frosting.
Guten Appetit !